Selecting the Right Eye Specialist – You Should Know!

by Julia
eye doctor

An ophthalmologist, an optometrist, or an optician can be consulted when a person schedules an appointment with an eye doctor. Each type of eye care professional will have varying levels of experience and competence and the ability to provide various services.

Optometrists, opticians, and ophthalmologists are the three categories of eye care professionals. Each has a different level of experience and preparation and can give different levels of treatment. So, It’s vital that you know which one to visit for your eye problem.

  • Optometrist

Optometrists provide primary vision treatment. Their programs include everything from vision assessment and correction to diagnosing, treating, and handling vision changes.  A doctorate of optometry requires four years of postgraduate study. Optometry is a profession that entails:

  • managing eye exams
  • managing vision tests
  • Prescribing corrective lenses
  • Identifying certain eye irregularities
  • Prescribing medication for some eye conditions
  • Surgical procedures
  • Giving visual rehabilitation

Optometrists are often more available than ophthalmologists. Before seeing an ophthalmologist, see whether an optometrist may perform a test or treatment.

  • Optician

An optician specializing in the design and fitting of the following visual aids is known as an optician.

  • contact lenses and other equipment to correct a person’s vision 
  • eyeglass lenses and frames

Opticians check and fit necessary visual aids using prescriptions from an optometrist or ophthalmologist. However, they are unable to diagnose and treat eye disorders because they lack the requisite experience.

  • Ophthalmologist

An individual must attend medical school to become an ophthalmologist. Therefore, ophthalmologists would have completed at least eight years of medical school. Since being an eye doctor, they are licenced to practise medicine and surgery.

An ophthalmologist can provide similar medical services to an optometrist, such as prescribing and fitting vision correction eyeglasses and contact lenses.

Ophthalmologists, on the other hand, 

  • May diagnose and treat all types of eye disorders.
  • Operate on the eyes
  • Conduct clinical studies into the causes of eye disorders and vision issues, as well as possible treatments.

Ophthalmologists may also identify health issues that aren’t necessarily linked to the eye but are discovered during a regular eye exam. If this happens, the ophthalmologist will advise the patient to see their family doctor.

Ophthalmologists are specialized medical practitioners, but some prefer to specialize in a specific area. Thus, it entails pursuing further education and training in a particular field of medical or surgical eye care.

Ophthalmology has many subspecialties, including-

  • Specialist in Cornea

The cornea is the transparent, protective coating that covers the entire surface of the skin. It acts as a mirror, focusing light as it enters the eye.

A cornea specialist may diagnose and treat Fuchs’ dystrophy and keratoconus, two corneal eye disorders. Corneal transplantation and refractive surgery are among the procedures they may perform.

A cornea specialist may be consulted if the cornea has been damaged or if the contact lens fitting is difficult.

  • Retinal Diseases Expert

The retina is a thin layer of tissue that lines the back of the eyeball’s inner portion. Its job is to absorb light and transmit visual information to the brain.

A retina specialist can diagnose and treat retinal eye diseases. Surgically repairing broken or detached retinas is one example.

Retina specialists can also help with the vitreous, the gel-like material that makes up the inside of the eyeball.

  • Specialist in Glaucoma

Glaucoma is an eye disease that glaucoma specialists treat. Fluid builds up in the eye as a result of this. The excess fluid presses against the eye, damaging the optic nerve.


To get the treatment they need for their particular eye or vision issue, a person must contact an appropriate eye care professional.

You may also like